Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Further Inspection and Some Work Done

Removed the hydraulic pump, as the plow is going to be disposed of, and can finally have a good look at the entire engine compartment with ease.



 Removal of the seatbox panels, to reveal the fuel tank, hand-brake, and condition of the chassis. Black tar-like substance on the seat box is the aweful 'glue' used to stick the insulation on. Not fun to get off.

Decided to inspect/replace all of the bearings, plus the brakes. Small hurdle here was having to cut off a very stuck brake drum. Other side just popped off. Haven't tried the rear ones yet.

Valve cover removed revealed everything pretty much in good order, although a valve job will be done.

A further view of the centre-section, including, on the muffler, a fish hook I found. Along with a bullet lodged in the firewall, it gives a clue to one previous owner's pass-times, I would guess.

The fuel tank, which had been replaced by a "Mr Gas Tank" replacement unit at some point. Sender functionality still to be determined.

Windshield off, and paint stripped from all galvanizing. New glazing will be installed, as one windshield was cracked.

An atmospheric shot of the engine. You can just about read "Made in England" on the dynamo. Arrangement features an early 'goose-neck' exhaust manifold, which will be replaced with a more traditional and reportedly less problematic 'straight-down' type (and a new exhaust system).

A new galvanized chassis has been ordered from Rovers North (from Richards in the UK). In order to organize the garage, I asked Rovers North for a photo, and here's a view of the new chassis preparing to leave their Vermont location.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I contacted you awhile back about engine paints. I'm now finally making a push to restore my 1960 Canadian SII 88 station wagon. Anyway, reviewing your blog again -- in comparison to my own truck -- I had a couple of questions: 1) How certain are you that your windscreen demisters are mounted in the original location? I also have a Kodiak Mark II and my interior is pretty original and my demisters are at the top of the wiper motors directly against the bottom of the windshield glass. 2) I see when you were originally taking your truck apart for restoration, your pics show a muffler under the driver's seat. I also have the goose-neck exhaust and mine also had a muffler/resonator under the driver's seat, but until I saw your blog I assumed that was a later modification even though it looks the same age as the front pipe. Unfortunately, mine had no further exhaust pipes or muffler after that one under the driver's seat when I got it, so that keeps me from figuring anything out. Do you know if your exhaust set-up was original? I've not seen this set-up anywhere else, so I'm intrigued by what you may know. Thanks, and PLEASE don't ever take down your site -- the reference is INVALUABLE!!

    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine they may have had a variety of demister types back in 1960 - perhaps they were even made locally for the dealer, who knows. But mine are as they were originally on the this vehicle when the Kodiak was first installed. As for the muffler, yes, the 1960 did have the goose neck type exhaust manifold, but as I had heard that those were prone to cracking, the exhaust manifold was 'upgraded' to the more reliable (and easily available if needed) standard type used on later models. As for the muffler under the driver's seat (exhausting just in front of the rear tire), this was strictly something made by a local garage at some point. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete