Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2016

1962 Project Visit

Spend a very happy couple of hours this afternoon helping to remove the bulkhead and radiator, plus do a little in-depth exploration of the engine.

Below, the bulkhead now off and resting on the chassis. The bulkhead, which appears to be in very good condition rust-wise, will soon be off for refurbishment. A decision has been made to most likely replace the existing chassis with a new galvanized one, for the sake of worry-free longevity. After this, the engine was drained of coolant and the radiator removed, leaving easy access to every part of the engine.

The, um, wiring loom, soon to be removed entirely. This will be replaced with a new loom from Autosparks.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,keep the chassis if it is generally sound, I'd much rather see one with a repaired and patched history than another over restored 'Trigger's Brush'. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, thanks for documenting and sharing your Land Rover restoration. I have found this super helpful in my own Series 2 (1961) SWB restoration that is just starting. I have a question about your Kodiak heater but couldn't find an email address to contact you. In terms of the air intake my Kodiak heater takes this from the wing. It is meant to have a hose that joins the wing opening to the heater fan body. The size of this is (ID) 4-1/8" ... I'm having no luck in sourcing a suitable piece of tubing that will work. At the same time I am tempted to go with a new wing (no hole) and route the air intake as you have done, as my wing has seen better days and new outer panels are available. If you have any advice fir me please let me know. Best wishes, Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ian, please drop me a line at me-262a-1a (at) hotmail.com, and I'll be glad to help. Email will make things easier. Thanks! Mike

    ReplyDelete